Hi! This website documents the genealogy of the McNaughton family, John (Jock) and Annie, and their children Ron and Ian.
As far back as the 1600’s, the various branches of what became the McNaughton family lived in Aberdeenshire in Scotland – generally in the countryside, but towards the end of the nineteenth century many in this branch of the family had found their way to the city of Aberdeen.
From there, Jock emigrated to Australia with Annie emigrating a decade later, while others in the family made their way to the USA.
What you can find here
This site contains (or will in the future when it’s completed):
- family tree charts for Annie and for Jock, showing all ancestors I have been able to find (so far),
- a brief narrative of the history of Jock and Annie’s ancestors,
- profiles of those in the direct line, including a few interesting characters – there is even a Mr Bean (see if you can spot him),
- photographs of the family and places where they lived are included on other pages,
- a map of the area, information about locations, and a series of maps showing where they lived and moved over a century,
- some historical information on life in Aberdeenshire and Scotland in the 18th and 19th centuries,
- some information on tracing family history, where I obtained the information, and some of the tricky problems I had to solve, and
- a blog into which I will occasionally post about updated information on the site (you can receive email notifications of new information via the button on the right).
A full, interactive, family history record is on Ancestry.com, and can be viewed by any visitors to that site.
Please check out the information if you are a family member or have some ancestors in common, or even if you are just interested in history generally. If you have any information to add, please email me using the form on the About Page.